Volume: 41 | Issue: 3 | Download
ON THE COVER
Located in the heart of our country's capital at 1800 Eye Street, adjacent to the World Bank and only two blocks from the White House, stands the new DC headquarters of Arizona State University (ASU). Known as the Barrett & O'Connor Washington Center, it was named in honor of two significant women of history, Ambassador Barbara McConnell Barrett and Justice Sandra Day O'Connor. The eight-story, 32,000-square-foot building was purportedly the first concrete and masonry residential building in DC, built more than 100 years ago, which was recently renovated using a variety of Las Vegas Rock, a rare metaquartzite that is quarried 15 miles from the Strip in Las Vegas, NV. To learn more about the extensive renovation, turn to page 42 of this issue of Building Stone.